Craig Anderson Chartered Accountants Ltd (we, us, our) complies with the New Zealand Privacy Act 1993 (the Act) when dealing with personal information. Personal information is information about an identifiable individual (a natural person).
This policy sets out how we will collect, use, disclose and protect your personal information.
This policy does not limit or exclude any of your rights under the Act. If you wish to seek further information on the Act, see www.privacy.org.nz.
Changes to this policy
We may change this policy by uploading a revised policy onto the website. The change will apply from the date that we upload the revised policy.
Who do we collect your personal information from
We collect personal information about you from:
- you, when you provide that personal information to us, including via the website and any related service, through any registration or subscription process, through any contact with us (e.g. telephone call or email), or when you use our services and products
- third parties where you have authorised this or the information is publicly available.
If possible, we will collect personal information from you directly.
What personal information do we collect
We collect personal information from you, including information about your:
- billing or purchase information
How we use your personal information
We collect your personal information in order to comply with governmental department requirements.
We will use your personal information:
- to provide services and products to you
- to market our services and products to you, including contacting you electronically (e.g. by text or email for this purpose)
- to improve the services and products that we provide to you
- to bill you and to collect money that you owe us
- to respond to communications from you, including a complaint
- for any other purpose authorised by you or the Act
Choose not to provide some information
Providing personal information is optional. However, if we are unable to collect information we will be unable to provide you with some of our services. For example, if you choose not to provide your IRD number and Identity verification information, we will be unable to provide you with Accounting and Taxation services.
Disclosing your personal information
Besides our staff, we disclose your personal information to:
- the Inland Revenue Department
- the Department of Internal Affairs
- any business that supports our services and products, including any person that hosts or maintains any underlying IT system or data centre that we use to provide the website or other services and products
- any other person authorised by the Act or another law (e.g. a law enforcement agency)
- any other person authorised by you.
Protecting your personal information
We keep your electronically stored information safe through password protection and access management. We will take reasonable steps to keep your personal information safe from loss, unauthorised activity, or other misuse.
Accessing and correcting your personal information
Subject to certain grounds for refusal set out in the Act, you have the right to access your readily retrievable personal information that we hold and to request a correction to your personal information. Before you exercise this right, we will need evidence to confirm that you are the individual to whom the personal information relates.
In respect of a request for correction, if we think the correction is reasonable and we are reasonably able to change the personal information, we will make the correction. If we do not make the correction, we will take reasonable steps to note on the personal information that you requested the correction.
If you want to exercise either of the above rights, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Your email should provide evidence of who you are and set out the details of your request (e.g. the personal information, or the correction, that you are requesting). If you are unable to email us, please contact us on 03 544 6179 or PO Box 3115, RICHMOND 7050.
We may charge you our reasonable costs of providing to you copies of your personal information or correcting that information.
While we take reasonable steps to maintain secure internet connections, if you provide us with personal information over the internet, the provision of that information is at your own risk.